If you've updated your Mac to macOS 10.15 Catalina or higher, you’ll need to make changes to your security settings to allow screen recording and microphone access for the recorder.
Sometimes you may run into a problem that prevents you from recording your screen. You can use the troubleshooting tips in this article to resolve this issue.
1. Make sure you've followed the steps to allow microphone and screen permissions.
Remember: You need to quit and reopen the browser before the system can apply the changes.
2. If your Security & Privacy settings show that you've already turned on the above permissions for your browser, you may need to remove the screen recording permission and then add it again.
To reset the screen recording permission, follow the instructions below:
- Open System Preferences, and then click Security & Privacy .
- Click the lock icon at the bottom-left of the screen and enter your administrator password.
- Click on the Screen Recording option in the menu to the left.
- Select the web browser you're using to complete your test.
Note: The UserTesting recorder will not be displayed in this list. You should look for the web browser only (ex. Google Chrome).
- Deselect your web browser by clicking on the checkmark.
- On the prompt that appears, click the Quit & Reopen button to close and restart your browser.
- When you attempt to take a test, the instructions below should appear on your screen:
- Follow the steps for allowing the screen recording permission.
- Once you've completed the steps and restarted your browser, you should be able to complete your test.
macOS Big Sur+
- With your web browser selected, click the remove button to remove the browser from the list.
- Click the add button , and then use the Finder to locate your browser application. Double-click the application to add it to the list. On the prompt that appears, click the Quit & Reopen button to close and restart your browser.
- Once you've completed the above steps, you should be able to complete any remaining setup steps and begin your test.