A Live Conversation is an exciting opportunity to provide feedback to a UserTesting customer in real-time. On the day of your scheduled Live Conversation, you’ll use your computer to connect to a customer through an online video-conferencing tool called Zoom. The customer may ask you to complete a set of tasks, share your screen, or answer questions.
Since there are extra steps that you need to follow in order to participate in a Live Conversation, these tests pay more than the average test. This article will help familiarize you with the Live Conversation process for desktop computers.
- What are the requirements?
- How long will a Live Conversation take?
- When should I arrive for my Live Conversation?
- How do I join a Live Conversation?
- How can I cancel my Live Conversation?
- If I cancel a Live Conversation, will it affect my rating?
- Why is UserTesting so strict about cancellations?
- What if I discover I don’t qualify for the study?
- Who will I talk to when I join?
- When will I see my webcam during a Live Conversation?
- What will the viewer see when I share my screen?
- What will be recorded during the Live Conversation?
- What if I don’t show up?
- What if the customer doesn’t show up?
- I finished the Live Conversation. Why does my dashboard still say “interview in progress”?
- When will I see the payment for my Live Conversation on my dashboard?
- How much will I be paid for a Live Conversation?
- How can I earn a high rating for a Live Conversation?
What are the requirements?
- Time: You must have time available to complete a Live Conversation. Please only reserve tests when it’s convenient for you. We ask that you don't skip work or miss an appointment to attend a Live Conversation.
- Honesty: If we or a customer find that you didn't truthfully answer the screeners, you'll automatically receive 1 star, we'll cancel your payment, and we may remove you from the UserTesting Contributor Network.
- An email address: We'll send Information and reminders for the Live Conversation to you by email. Please check your email regularly.
- Zoom: You must download and install Zoom before your session. You don't need to sign up for an account. For help, please review our Zoom FAQ.
- A webcam: Some customers may ask you to share your webcam. Always be prepared to share your face. If you don’t want to share your webcam, please don't agree to participate in a Live Conversation.
How long will a Live Conversation take?
A Live Conversation will take 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes. When you sign up for a Live Conversation, you’ll see how the expected duration of the session on your dashboard and in the confirmation and reminder emails you receive. Be sure to have an extra 15 minutes to set up before your Live Conversation.
When should I arrive for my Live Conversation?
You should join your Live Conversation at least 15 minutes before your session begins to allow time for troubleshooting and setup. For example, if your Live Conversation begins at 11:00 AM, you should join at 10:45 AM.
Once your Live Conversation is confirmed, you'll receive an email that contains a reminder. To make sure you arrive on time, we strongly suggest adding the event to your calendar.
How do I join a Live Conversation?
To join a desktop Live Conversation, click the Join Test button from your dashboard. This button appears 15 minutes before your scheduled start time.
To join a mobile Live Conversation, tap the Join Interview button in your reminder email on your mobile device. This will take you through a tutorial to set up for your mobile interview, and then bring you to a page where you can join the interview.
How can I cancel my Live Conversation?
To cancel your Live Conversation, use the cancel link under your scheduled session on your dashboard at least 24 hours before your scheduled time.
If I cancel a Live Conversation, will it affect my rating?
If you give us proper notice (24 hours or more), canceling a Live Conversation will not affect your rating. However, if you fail to attend a scheduled Live Conversation or don't give enough notice, you will receive an automatic 1-star rating.
Why is UserTesting so strict about cancellations?
Live Conversations take a lot of time and effort to coordinate and schedule. The customer has scheduled time out of their busy day in order to get your awesome feedback. If you cancel less than 24 hours ahead of your session time, there won't be enough time for the customer to find another contributor. Please also keep in mind that when the customer has to spend additional time finding a new contributor, it takes longer for them to complete their project.
What if I discover I don’t qualify for the study?
Cancel your Live Conversation. If we or a customer find that you did not truthfully answer the screener, you'll automatically receive 1 star, we'll cancel your payment, and you'll no longer receive test invitations.
Who will I talk to when I join?
You'll speak directly to the customer, but they may have colleagues or researchers join the session to observe as well. They may or may not already be online when you join, but be prepared to speak directly to the customer.
When will I see my webcam during a Live Conversation?
Depending on your Zoom settings, your webcam may open as soon as you join the meeting. Be prepared before you join the meeting and make sure you don’t have anything on camera that you don’t want to be recorded.
What will the viewer see when I share my screen?
Once you share your desktop screen, we'll be able to see what is on your primary monitor. That may include your desktop, any icons on your desktop, and any programs or files that you have open on your screen. On a mobile device, your screen, open apps, and any icons you have on it may be recorded.
Please be sure to close or minimize any confidential information/windows before sharing your screen. You shouldn't reveal any information during a session that you do not want to be recorded.
What will be recorded during the Live Conversation?
Before accepting a Live Conversation test, you must agree to the following screener:
Your webcam and the conversation taking place will be recorded. If the customer asks, your screen may also be recorded.
What if I don’t show up?
If you don't show up after 10 minutes from the scheduled start time, you'll no longer be able to join the meeting. Our Quality Team automatically investigates these cases. If you fail to attend a scheduled Live Conversation and didn't cancel at least 24 hours in advance, you'll receive a 1-star rating and you won't collect any payment.
Our customers count on you to attend each Live Conversation test. They have set aside time in their calendar and are eager to hear your insight. When you don't attend a scheduled test, it is difficult to fill the vacant time slot in a short period of time.
Please note that continued failures to participate in scheduled Live Conversation tests without giving us at least 24 hours notice will result in removal from the Contributor Network.
What if the customer doesn’t show up?
In certain circumstances, a customer will need to cancel or reschedule a Live Conversation session. If the customer cancels less than 24 hours before the scheduled start time, you will receive a partial payment in the amount of $10 USD to compensate you for your time and the inconvenience.
After the cancellation, you will receive an email to notify you will receive a partial payment 7 days after the live conversation was due to take place. This happens automatically so no action needs to be taken. If the customer provides more than 24 hours' notice, you will not receive a partial payment.
I finished the Live Conversation. Why does my dashboard still say “interview in progress”?
To end a Live Conversation, click the Leave button in the Zoom interface. If you and the customer didn't take the full amount of time scheduled for the Live Conversation, you may see an "interview in progress" message.
If you're done speaking with the customer, click the Leave Interview button to end your interview. If you need to rejoin your interview for any reason, click the Rejoin Interview button.
Once you click Leave Interview, you'll see a confirmation message asking if you're sure you want to leave. Clicking the Leave button will take you back to your test feed, so make sure to only click this button if you are done speaking with the customer.
When will I see the payment for my Live Conversation on my dashboard?
Payment for a Live Conversation will appear on your dashboard within 7 days of completing your session.
How much will I be paid for a Live Conversation?
Reward amounts vary depending on the length of the Live Conversation. Check your test feed to see the amount you'll get paid and the duration of the conversation.
If you don't attend a scheduled session and didn't cancel from your dashboard at least 24 hours in advance, we'll cancel your payment and you'll receive a 1-star rating.
How can I earn a high rating for a Live Conversation?
- Be available. Keep an eye on your inbox, in case there are updates. Don’t sign up for a Live Conversation if your schedule is tight. If something is preventing you from joining a session, contact our Support Team.
- Be patient. You or the moderator may experience some technical issues when sharing your audio and video. This doesn't happen often but, if it does, we appreciate your patience and flexibility.
- Be honest. A Live Conversation will earn you more money than you make with a standard test, and it’s tempting to misrepresent yourself in order to take part in the study. Avoid that temptation. A Live Conversation is more time-consuming for both you and the customer. If you don’t truly qualify for the Live Conversation, we'll cancel your payment, you'll receive a 1-star rating, and we may remove you from the UserTesting Contributor Network.
- Be prepared. Don’t be afraid to reach out with questions or concerns if anything is unclear to you. Please read all available documentation beforehand. Knowing how to join the Live Conversation and use Zoom will make everything run smoothly.
- Be considerate. We know that you're probably on a personal computer or mobile device. Be sure to hide or minimize any sensitive materials on your screen, and consider using an incognito window or an alternate browser to keep your browsing history private.